I usually watch TV in bed a night for an hour or so before I go to bed (lately I’ve been watching the friends reruns, I digress). One night I watched an episode of Beat Bobby Flay and the opposing chef made a dish like this one. I wrote down the basic idea (otherwise I would forget!) so I could make something similar for dinner. I’ve done carbonara before, but I loved the idea of candied bacon and the arugula on top! This was super easy to put together and it was a huge hit! Put bacon on a dish and who can resist?
- One pound of spaghetti
- One pound of bacon
- Four eggs
- Italian blend grated cheese
- One lemon (optional)
- I cooked the bacon on racks on top of two cookie sheets. This way the bacon isn't sitting in the fat. I made one candied slice for each of us. This is super simple, generously sprinkle those slices with brown sugar and leave the rest plain. This takes about 20 minutes at 350, check on the bacon so it doesn't burn. Mine got a little crispy.
- Cook the pasta according to package.
- Whisk eggs, pepper, salt to taste and 1/4 cup cheese.
- Drain pasta and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Mix the egg mixture with the hot pasta and move quickly so the eggs won't scramble. Add a little of the cooking if necessary. Mix in crumbled bacon.
- Plate and add arugula dressed with lemon juice and top with candied bacon pieces!
What’s your favorite bacon dish? Need a quick bacon tip? Check out my Bacon 101 post!