Out of the oven.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup oats
- 2¼ teaspoons instant yeast
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup honey
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the flour, oats, yeast, and salt.
- In a small bowl warm the milk so that it's hot enough to melt the butter, but not boiling. Add the butter, stirring until melted, then stir in the water and honey.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture, mixing with a dough hook until it just comes together to form a dough. Knead in the mixer, with the dough hook attachment, for 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover, and allow to rise until doubled, about ½ to 1 hour.
- Once doubled, place the dough on a clean, dry work surface. If the dough is too sticky, lightly flour the surface before continuing. With your fingers, flatten the dough into a 9 by 12-inch rectangle. Tightly roll the dough, tucking the ends as needed, into a loaf. Place the shaped dough into a 9x5-inch loaf pan, cover with a clean dry towel, and allow to rise until doubled, about ½ to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- When the loaf is doubled again.
- Brush the top of the dough with the warmed honey and sprinkle with the oats.
- Place the bread in the oven and pour boiling water into the empty loaf pan on the bottom rack of the oven. Bake bread for 40 to 50 minutes, until the bread is golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before serving.