This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ShareTheHoliday #CollectiveBias
I am so happy you’re here today! I’ve got a great Holiday Food Gift idea, Pizzelles! Along with a pretty way to package and a printable for you.
As I get older, I get more nostalgic and I appreciate the women who came before me. My Italian grandmother, Nane, made so many wonderful things. Her Pizzelles were the best. She made hers with a thick dough that we made into long snakes and cut into pieces. One by one, they went on the iron. It was a hand-held iron that made one at a time and you had to turn halfway through. It was hard work for a little girl, but I loved it. It took us hours working away in her basement kitchen. For mine, I kept with a traditional Italian recipe and used an electric maker.
These were not difficult to make, but they do take time. My family loved them! These make great gifts, perfect for that person you want to thank. I purchased some Rubbermaid TakeAlongs from Walmart. They are a pretty red and green colors (printed too!) for the holidays and they fit plenty!
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 12 TBSP butter
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 5 extra large eggs (I used 6 Large)
- 1 TBSP vanilla
- Colored sprinkles if desired.
- Sift, flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- Butter should be room temp, mix butter and sugar until combined, add eggs one at a time and vanilla.
- Blend in flour until combined.
- Chill for at least two hours (dough is soft).
- Heat iron according to directions and roll dough into TBSP size balls, roll in sprinkles if you'd like. I used white ones so you can't really seem them.
- Place one on each each and close iron cooking to desired doneness.
- Lay flat to cool
- Dust with powdered sugar.
Sharing homemade gifts is something that we do every year as a family. It’s such a nice feeling to knock on someone’s door and share thank you and hand them something you’ve made, don’t you agree?
This was super easy to do. After your Pizzelles are safely in your Rubbermaid TakeAlongs container, add a cute holiday dish towel and a plaid bow. I created a printable of snowflakes and Merry Christmas tags. If you have a 2 3/4″ circle punch it works perfectly for these. If you don’t have a punch you can cut them by hand. These will come in handy for all kinds of gifts! Punch a hole in the tags and tie on with some twine!