We don’t fly often, matter of fact we’ve only flown as a family once. We find ourselves longing for warm sunny days but most years during the Winter months we just wait it out. This year we had the opportunity to visit Florida and we really wanted to go away with the kids for a number of reasons. Life has a way of passing much quicker than you think and before we know it our oldest will be off to college. I decided to do some “digging” for flights and see what I could come up with. Here are a few easy tips for finding a great airfare even during peak flying times. I had no idea a family of five could fly roundtrip, direct to their destination for $1300 airfare (plus taxes & fees just over $1500).
1. Check the airline sites directly. I found this to be cheaper than the travel sites.
2. Direct flights were not necessarily more expensive than flights with one or two stops.
3. Book early. I made our reservations over two months in advance. When I went back and looked at the same flights as the dates got closer they were either filled or more expensive.
4. Date flexibility is key! I found this to be the biggest factor. If you can travel on a Tuesday or Wednesday the rates decrease significantly.
5. Check surrounding airports. If your destination has multiple airports nearby check pricing for those to, you may be able fly to an alternate airport instead. This allows you to have more flexibility. You’ll probably need to rent a car anyway so why not see if you might take advantage of a airport nearby. Florida is a great place to do this since there are so many places you can fly into.
Please share any of your travel tips, I would love to hear them!
Linking to Thrifty Thursday!