Do you remember TV dinners with the Salisbury steak, mashed potatoes and peas?
Every now and then when my mom didn’t cook we would have those!
Sometimes we would eat them on the TV trays in the family room. Did you guys do that too? So 1970’s right?
Salisbury steak brings me back to those days when I was a kid. I loved the gravy and I think I even ate the peas!
I thought I’d make a semi-homemade (I used packet gravy and boxed stuffing!) version of that favorite TV dinner.
- One pound of ground beef. I used 90/10
- 1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs (I was out of seasoned!)
- 2 TBSP Ketchup
- 1 TBSP Mustard
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Mix gently and form into oval patties.
- Add to hot cast iron skillet and cook until you get a nice crust.
- Add gravy and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Serve with peas and onions and stuffing or potatoes.
- I used a packet of brown gravy and mixed according to directions and added to the patties to thicken.
My kids love the peas and onions. I just saute a small diced onion in a couple tablespoons of butter and add a can of peas until they are just warmed through.
What was your favorite TV dinner? I’d love to know!